Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Transformations and Tessellations

This post is about a week after we completed the assignment, but I promised I would post it.  Right before the winter break, we discussed transformations, the way a shape can move.  This was exciting because we increased the rigor of our math vocabulary from flip, slide, and turn to translation, rotation, and reflection. 


Once I was sure the students understood how the shapes moved, I introduced tessellations. 
We created our "tracers" out of index cards, chose what transformation we wanted to show and the creative, higher level thinking began!  

Here are some of our finished products.
I you would like the instructions on how to make a template or tracer for the different types of transformations, please email me.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment